Monday, 8 February 2010

Alan Fletcher's Exhibiton

Alan Fletchers work was very inspiring to me when I visited his work at the CUBE gallery in Manchester. Whilst walking around the exhibition room ideas were popping into my head of ways I could use his work to create my own in a similar way, ideas such as taking photos of my graphics class or family and creating a flip book in the same way that Fletcher created his Portfolio Book ‘Fletcher/Forbes/Gill’ in 1962.

The book that he created was to show that initially 3 but later turned into 27 people (his work force) become one when working. This to me is the same way in which my graphics group work and also my family and so I am hoping to develop this idea at some point.

Other inspiring pieces of work I noticed in the exhibition was the piece ‘A-Z’ created with found letters, collected and placed into bags for later use in works such as ‘Balances’ pieces created using found imagery of template glass logos and images that are found on packaging and piecing them together to create new and more interesting and fighting conflictions of the glass being half full and half empty optimist and pessimists argument.



I really enjoyed the visit to the CUBE gallery looking at Fletchers work and the ideas I have come out with are giving me the get up and go (also known as the kick up the derrière) to go out and create the ideas I have rather than passing them by and just going with what is given to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment